So who has taken the RST exam and has passed?

Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2

Postby somnonaut » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:05 pm

The problem is it seems many are conflating the roles of AASM and AAST and ABSM.
somnonaut

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:25 am

Those organizations may have different roles...but they are all managed by the AASM. The AASM even has an employee whose job is to direct and manage all the AASM sub-organizations....AAST, ABSM, AADSM, SBMS, APSS, (and a few others I cannot remember right now) are all under the authority and direction of that employee. Each organization has its role, but they all are managed and directed by the AASM.
tiredjohnny1

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:38 am

LadyCandy wrote:Wow, I've been out of the loop for a solid 6 months...apparently I've missed what amounts to a tragedy in the field.

I think subconsciously I knew, I've fallen into the negative thinking about the field and am sliding into career depression :cry:

The need for techs and for in-lab PSG is reduced but there will always be a need for techs. I am not sure at this point how the changes will define night techs. Will the night techs have to do 3:1 as standard? Or if not, will they score at night, requiring that only the best, most-experienced, and well-trained techs have employment? Or will it go the other way and only the least expensive techs will have work as a cost-savings measure? Perhaps there will be a mingling of the two philosophies and the best techs will be paid less for more work? We will find out. The field is changing, but its not dead.

L.C. don't stay away so long...and don't be depressed about all the changes. Hopefully your excellent writing and speaking around the country can highlight some of these issues.

All should realize that the AASM/ABSM/AAST/BRPT, etc. are not able to help us at this point. We, as managers and/or techs, will have to learn how to survive within our changing environment. But I am personally confident we will thrive, as long as we don't expect that any of the above-referenced organizations will help us. Although many will lose their jobs, as a field we will be defined by how we adjust to the changes. But make no mistake, we can and will thrive as long as we are willing to change.
tiredjohnny1

Postby fanofcart » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:03 am

LadyCandy wrote:Wow, I've been out of the loop for a solid 6 months...apparently I've missed what amounts to a tragedy in the field.

I think subconsciously I knew, I've fallen into the negative thinking about the field and am sliding into career depression :cry:

Yeah, I haven't been lurking here much either because of all the depressing bad news about sleep diagnostics.
fanofcart

RST exam

Postby mcoffman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:29 am

I am planning on taking the RST exam in September. Has anyone taken it? If so, any info would be great as far as what it was made up of. Thanks!!!!
mcoffman

Previous

Return to BRPT