CSE opportunity?

Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2

CSE opportunity?

Postby zack » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:37 pm

I have not seen lately where opportunities are to get the certificate. Am I looking in the wrong place? I didn't see anything on the BRPT website.
zack

Re: CSE opportunity?

Postby somnonaut » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:58 pm

It's right there, 4th listing under the Exams and Certificates pulldown.
http://www.brpt.org/default.asp?contentID=185

The brief synopsis of the history of the CSE is the last paragraph is interesting.

HISTORY

Previously, the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP) sponsored an annual conference entitled Becoming a Sleep Educator. The ACCP developed the sleep educator conference in recognition of the chronic nature of obstructive sleep apnea and general sleep disorders, knowing patients would increasingly require ongoing adjustments and interactions with health care professionals who could benefit from specialized education and training. As recognition of, and the need for, a sleep educator grew, the ACCP collaborated with the BRPT to transfer the administration and management of the program to the BRPT. Now in its fourth year, the Becoming a Sleep Educator conference has evolved into the BRPT’s Clinical Sleep Educator Certificate Program.

I can see the utility of providing a credential for those with NO sleep training, Nurses, END techs, etc., but saying that RPSGTs need another credential to provide education about sleep apnea? Man, that just sounds too over the top as a money grab and piss poor provisioning of the core requirements of the RPSGT exam.

The Clinical Sleep Educator is an assessment-based certificate. To receive an assessment-based certificate, the participant is required to document attendance or participation AND demonstrate that the intended learning objectives and outcomes were achieved through a proficiency exam or assessment. The primary focus is on education and training. There is a single course or program to provide the education and training, and it is offered by a sole provider.

So, in effect, the BRPT is stating here, that we all were correct back in the 90's. To properly ascertain that someone knows what they are doing, they need to have a COMPETENCY assessment. Just as we said back in the 90's about moving AWAY from the practical portion of the RPSGT exam. I see. How telling.
somnonaut

Postby Vix » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:42 pm

Just a small detail, the CSE certificate program/exam does not give you a credential, it gives you a certificate. No letters after your name. if you want another actual credential, you have to take the CCSH exam.
Vix

Postby somnonaut » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:17 pm

People can put whatever letters they want after their name, just not ones with trademark status and defined needed credentialing. This I learned the hard way since in NYS we don't have letters to put after our name since the braindead legislature took that line out of the legislation when they allowed the AARC to trample all over it. But that's another story.

If no organization, agency or authority tells you otherwise, anyone can use any dang letters they want.
somnonaut

Postby goudasleep » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:21 am

I hear the "money grab" style complaint about the BRPT a lot. Believe me, I am not an apologist for the organization. Their history has been their downfall. However, I think the idea that they are a greedy organization is often overstated, and not really supported. There are no annual dues, the initial test is cheap by any medical accreditation standards, and you can get all the necessary CEUs without spending a dime with them. Whether or not the Education program has any future value is up for debate. I'm skeptical. But I don't see anyone getting rich off it.
goudasleep

Return to BRPT