Pediatric Night Terrors

Moderator: labman2

Pediatric Night Terrors

Postby sleepgirl01 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for parents dealing with pediatric night terrors? I have a friend who has a 3 year old, mildly autistic daughter who is having nightly night terrors. Poor family has been dealing with this for some time and becoming extremely tired. The docs dealing with the autism, which was recently diagnosed, is waiting to test for parasomnias at this point. Any and all suggestions would be extemely appreciated. Thanks!!
sleepgirl01

Postby bduce » Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 am

Get them to set up a tripod and video camera (with IR lighting) on multiple nights to try and capture the movements in question. If they can do the leg work of capturing it, this makes it easier for physicians to determine what it is (ie parasomnia, seizure etc). Most paediatric physicians are quite pleased to receive this sort of information from the get go.
bduce

Postby o0rangeo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:34 am

Alright, 8 years of sleep and I have a 8 yr old boy that sleep walks at home (actually left the house) and cries at night. Parent is super fustrated and scared for him. Doing a PSG on him now. Arousal out of S3, with crying, as I thought. He does have apneas. Now, my question is... Why did he have an awakening out of S2 crying and super frighten w/o an apnea before? I've never seen this in S2 and it was worse than in S3 when he did it. Can you have a night terror in S2 as well??
o0rangeo

Re: Pediatric Night Terrors

Postby charlieelectra » Wed May 13, 2015 8:02 am

I agree with the idea of filming the whole scenario. It will help the medical authority to understand the night terror of your friend's autistic daughter.
charlieelectra

Postby Vix » Thu May 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Hopefully in the two years that have elapsed since the original post, the issue has already been identified and addressed.
Vix

Postby RobertAlphin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:49 am

Thanks a lot for the post....
RobertAlphin

Postby simonalia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:05 pm

How about to the train was major without that terror
simonalia

Return to Pediatric and Infant Sleep