Doing Pediatric Lab Survey

Moderator: labman2

sedation

Postby tboas » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:26 am

does your staff consist of nurses? I am a LPN/RPSGT and have never heard of a lab giving medications,we have 2 nurses in our lab we used to be able to call md and get order for sleepaids,had to be given by the nurse,we dont do that anymore because of liability on hospital with a sleep aid in pt system then being woke up at 5am and driving home! and how accurate are studies with chloral hydrate?
tboas

I agree with sedating myself before a shift ...

Postby JodiSorenson21 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:18 am

I know i can be some night you just want it ... I am working for an accredited lab now, There are time child need to be sedated, but we are not allowed to give any meds to pt or parents. I think that any type of sedation on a child will delute the test.. Children just need to be taken by the hand and worked with.. We also do all types of children with special needs and there are just a little harder but no meds allowed.

I wish the Dr would give the parents the sedation meds .. more then the children.. I try to tell my parents that I only use stickers and nothing hurts, they may not like it but they will be ok, so if they are going to have a break down please do it outside cause they will only make thing worse...

I say sedate the parents... and use staff members if the dr.. know its giong to be a rough night.. thanks
JodiSorenson21

Postby K-sey Complex » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:01 am

We don't dope 'em. I don't think it's necessary if you have patience and experience. Non-conventional means are highly suggested. :wink:
K-sey Complex

Postby Canadian Sleep Tech » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 am

Big I prefer my own sedation with a good 16 yr old single malt, does that apply as a paediatric sedation?
I would advise against using Chloral Hydrate and I had thought its use had been suspended. While it may help get an EEG study, sedating a patient with this for a sleep study renders the study useless. I have done studies both diagnostic and CPAP titrations on young adolescents with many medical issues, including Marfan Syndrome, Down Syndrome, Nocturnal Siezures etc etc.
And finally PLEASE to those using the term "Downs", that is as outmoded as Choral Hydrate, use the term infront of a parent with a child with Down Syndrome and you may find a very negative responce from them.Many view the term the same way African Americans view the n word. How do I know? I have a child with Down Syndrome and am very active in the Down Syndrome Parents Association. My daughter is not Downs,or A Downs, she had Down Syndrome, and has her own identity, thank you. And Rachel thanks you as well
Canadian Sleep Tech

Re: Doing Pediatric Lab Survey

Postby Vix » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:10 am

Can someone please ban this Geraldsi yahoo? 38 posts of spam!!!!
Vix

Re: Doing Pediatric Lab Survey

Postby somnonaut » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Accredited, academic pediatric lab. Never use, nor have policy to administer any drugs or substances to facilitate PSG in any way. We do have behavioral aids, and will hookup while patient sleeps instead. Putting together a research for publication on a modified montage for these kinds of issues.
If looking to do in-sleep hookup, make sure you prep using Prep pads while awake (they can't cry any more, so why not) and do not try to use cotton swabs as too much movement.
Also, time of arrival is key as pushing pediatric patients to come in to a lab running on "adult time" (arrival 8 - 8:30 for lights out by 11, is pushing the child over the tired limits and forcing much more angst than the lab making it easier by operating for children and having arrival times ~7-8 for lights out by 9:00-9:30. Tired kids make for troublesome patients.
somnonaut

Previous

Return to Pediatric and Infant Sleep