AASM accreditation

American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Accreditation, policies, politics... NOT FOR SCORING QUESTIONS PLEASE

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

AASM accreditation

Postby RPSGT88athome » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:24 pm

So I'm still working on reaccreditation. Since last time we have added OCST, pediatrics and actigraphy. I have a lot of policies but am most lacking in OCST and actigraphy. Can anyone share some model policies on these three topics? Does the AASM accreditation reference manual and CD ROM set contain policies that cover OCST, peds and actigraphy?

Thanks

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby Krob » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:29 pm

where you able to find info for the policies on OCST? We too are in the process of adding it to our lab and seeking accredidation. If so would you be willing to share?
Krob

Re: AASM accreditation

Postby labman2 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 pm

RPSGT88athome wrote:So I'm still working on reaccreditation. Since last time we have added OCST, pediatrics and actigraphy. I have a lot of policies but am most lacking in OCST and actigraphy. Can anyone share some model policies on these three topics? Does the AASM accreditation reference manual and CD ROM set contain policies that cover OCST, peds and actigraphy?

Thanks

RPSGT88

Why not start be taking the AASM standards for OCST and drafting procedures to meet those standards?

Labman2
labman2

Postby RPSGT88athome » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Ohh I was just fishing for info in January. I painstakinly wrote a new P&P per each and every standard. It passed just fine.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby somnus diabolus » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:25 pm

...and will be totally stolen and copied by other lab within company in 2 weeks :)
somnus diabolus

Postby LadyCandy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:43 am

somnus diabolus wrote:...and will be totally stolen and copied by other lab within company in 2 weeks :)

=D>
LadyCandy

Postby Cindeee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 am

Oh, Oh...me first.
Cindeee

Re: AASM accreditation

Postby Krob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm

labman2 wrote:
RPSGT88athome wrote:So I'm still working on reaccreditation. Since last time we have added OCST, pediatrics and actigraphy. I have a lot of policies but am most lacking in OCST and actigraphy. Can anyone share some model policies on these three topics? Does the AASM accreditation reference manual and CD ROM set contain policies that cover OCST, peds and actigraphy?

Thanks

RPSGT88

Why not start be taking the AASM standards for OCST and drafting procedures to meet those standards?

Labman2

Thats exactly what I have been doing...was hoping to make sure I was "on teh right track" and not missing or overlooking anything!
Krob

Postby Mairi2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:52 pm

I just spent most of yesterday writing P&Ps for OCST... Following the AASM guidelines, of course! Now on to submit and see if they approve...
Mairi2

Postby burchab1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:55 pm

RPSGT88's P&P for OCST 30 pages, mine 5 with his help. We both passed. I am glad to share.
burchab1

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:43 pm

He has a habit for going above and beyond when it comes to P&Ps :lol:
somnus diabolus

Postby somnonaut » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Ok, beginning the work of Accrediting a new ped lab. Looking over the docs there is no mention of chart review, specifically which kind of diagnoses the site visitor wishes to review and how many of each. Does anyone know if this is still part of site visit, and the answers to the other 2 questions?
somnonaut

Postby somnus diabolus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm

somnonaut wrote:Ok, beginning the work of Accrediting a new ped lab. Looking over the docs there is no mention of chart review, specifically which kind of diagnoses the site visitor wishes to review and how many of each. Does anyone know if this is still part of site visit, and the answers to the other 2 questions?
We had to give 2 patients for each Dx code they wanted. That was for an adult lab. I can't remember if they specified certain Dx examples for Peds or not, other than examples of OSA for Peds.
somnus diabolus

Postby Vix » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:18 am

somnonaut wrote:Ok, beginning the work of Accrediting a new ped lab. Looking over the docs there is no mention of chart review, specifically which kind of diagnoses the site visitor wishes to review and how many of each. Does anyone know if this is still part of site visit, and the answers to the other 2 questions?

They no longer ask that you submit the case studies prior to the site visit, but you still need them for them to view during the site visit. I suggest digging up at least one or two perfect examples of each, and then having a couple more on hand just in case, if possible.

http://www.aasmnet.org/accred_centerfaq.aspx?cid=2

Will the site visitor review case files?

Yes. Your site visitor will expect to see the following case examples on the day of your visit:
•Sleep related breathing disorder treated with PAP
•Hypersomnia evaluated with Multiple Sleep Latency Test
•Insomnia treated with behavioral therapy, i.e., sleep restriction, stimulus control, and/or relaxation therapy. Please note that discussion of sleep hygiene is not sufficient. The patient does not need to have had a polysomnogram if not clinically indicated.
•Restless legs syndrome. Please note, a patient with periodic leg movements during sleep but without the clinical history to support the diagnosis of RLS is not sufficient. The patient does not need to have had a polysomnogram if not clinically indicated.
•A directly referred patient file if such patients are accepted by your facility.

Case samples must include the original note from consultation with one of your sleep staff physicians, results of sleep studies (if any were done), and at least one office follow up note in which the patient was advised of the results of the study and a treatment plan was formulated.
Vix

Postby somnonaut » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:08 am

Ahhhh luv ya. Thx =D>
somnonaut

Return to AASM