new 3 to 1 patient ratio lanquage approval

American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Accreditation, policies, politics... NOT FOR SCORING QUESTIONS PLEASE

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Postby RPSGT88athome » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:33 am

Keystone dude. Its cheap. Much like the soon to be AASM credential!
RPSGT88athome

Postby sleepyjim » Thu May 05, 2011 5:53 am

I hear people say its too hard, its not fair, what if a pt codes...I think I can work around any of that, who cares.

I put a lot of thought into the studies I run, I score, watch sleep patterns, read everything I can in the charts, document the best I can...
download machine data, explain it to the pts, explain everything I can...spend all the time I can possibly allow on education, hook up, ect...And I think if I tried to do that with 3 pts, I would burn out my noggin. If I could pick and choose my pts, I would doe some 3 pt nights, but not all.

I don't think you could pay me enough to do a crappy job. Maybe if it was a lot of money and I was allowed to tell them at the beginning of the night they were being jipped, and there are better places for their money.
sleepyjim

Postby lil_miss_sleeptech » Thu May 05, 2011 8:25 am

I agree sleepyjim it's patient care that gets especially tricky when talking about a 3:1 ratio. And I'm not particularly fond of the idea of not scoring my studies on the fly. And if the patients' arrival times aren't staggered? That could get ugly, real fast... :shock:
lil_miss_sleeptech

3:1 ratio

Postby Val » Fri May 06, 2011 3:59 pm

I have to agree with some of the comments I have been hearing here.

I already have a problem with 'bean' counter management above me that have never even stepped foot in the sleep center. They have not even done patient care. They have no clue what happens in a sleep lab or the amount of work a tech does. Really, they do not just sit there and watch people sleep. (Preaching to the choir I know.)

At our lab we score studies while we are doing them. There is no way a tech can properly take care of their 2 patients, score and handle a third patient.

At this point I am using that 'work load' part of the statment. You want the tech to do 3 patients, they cannot split and they cannot score then. That means, I need to add a score tech to days. At this point, my Medical Directors (all 5) are standing behind me holding to 2:1 ratio.

That said.. I am still pretty shocked at the AASM. I shouldn't be but I remember when they were all about quality not money. sigh.

Getting off my soap box now.
Val

Postby sleepguy » Fri May 06, 2011 4:22 pm

"I am still pretty shocked at the AASM. I shouldn't be but I remember when they were all about quality not money. sigh. "

Quoted for Truth!
sleepguy

Postby SCNVsleep » Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 pm

Does anyone know the REAL reason 2:1 became the "standard"? I do, but am curious if anyone else who would be SO put upon doing 3 patients does.
SCNVsleep

Postby somnonaut » Fri May 06, 2011 11:44 pm

What would happen if sleep schools started training 3:1 with scoring. How would that change things?
somnonaut

Postby labman2 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:03 am

SCNVSleep wrote:Does anyone know the REAL reason 2:1 became the "standard"? I do, but am curious if anyone else who would be SO put upon doing 3 patients does.

ill quess- because the tech used to be right in the room when they monitored the patients and the rooms were for 2 patients so they HAD to monitor 2 patients? :?:
labman2

3:1 ratio ... Is it a haox???

Postby jam31065 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:36 am

Has anyone called the AASM to confirm this? I just read the Standards for Accreditation of Sleep Disorders Centers and section B7 DOES NOT say anything about 3:1 ratio. It says 2:1 ratio. The PDF file shows it was updated February 2011 and is Final. I hope this isn't someones idea of a joke! I cut and pasted it below:

Standard

B-7 - Sleep Technicians and Technologists
AASM accredited sleep facilities must maintain appropriately trained, supervised, and, where required by state law, licensed sleep technologists. Technologist staffing must be adequate to address the workload of the sleep facility and assure the safety of patients. The AASM recommends a patient to technologist ratio of 2:1 under usual circumstances for attended polysomnography.

Standard

Final February 2011 11
jam31065

Postby somnonaut » Wed May 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Maybe because the standard Canadian model is to start a lab with 2 pts to one tech, but the next level for growing the business is 5 pts for 2 techs, and then it increases in odd number fashion 7:3, 9:4 or something along those lines. Less than 3:1 but more than 2:1 and I think the AASM is trying to make inroads into Canadian labs getting their accreditation.
somnonaut

Postby o0rangeo » Thu May 19, 2011 7:26 am

o0rangeo

Postby Canadian Sleep Tech » Thu May 19, 2011 4:56 pm

somnonaut wrote:Maybe because the standard Canadian model is to start a lab with 2 pts to one tech, but the next level for growing the business is 5 pts for 2 techs, and then it increases in odd number fashion 7:3, 9:4 or something along those lines. Less than 3:1 but more than 2:1 and I think the AASM is trying to make inroads into Canadian labs getting their accreditation.

Claude, just about all Canadian Sleep Labs are 3:1, with no scoring. Some will have 2 Dx and 1 CPAP, others will go to 2 CPAP and 1 Dx depending on the level of wait times. We use schedulers that understand the difference in booking Dx and CPAP titrations.
Sleep labs in Ontario are accredited by the Sleep Lab Licensing group from the college of Physicians and Surgeons( equivalent to a state licensing board in the US). In BC it is the DAP which is funded jointly by the government and the BC college of Physicians and surgeons. SO there is little need for Canadian sleep labs (across the rest of the provinces they are rather scattered), to look for accreditation from the AASM. Other than for doc's becoming AASM board certified(or what ever group is doing that now).... as I believe a doc has to be trained in an AASM accredited sleep lab. (small aside, there are more sleep studies per capita performed in Ontario than anywhere else in the world by a large margin).
Personally I have no issues with a 3:1 ratio as long as routine is 1 CPAP 2 Dx, except in rare circumstances when it can go to 2 CPAP for expediency matters, no scoring, no split studies, and when it is a known patient with difficulties needing extra care a bed is blocked off. These are all things that we are currently doing at both sleep labs I am associated with here in BC.
Canadian Sleep Tech

Postby labman2 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:45 pm

SCNVSleep wrote:Does anyone know the REAL reason 2:1 became the "standard"? I do, but am curious if anyone else who would be SO put upon doing 3 patients does.

So what is the answer please?
labman2

Postby jam31065 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 am

o0rangeo wrote:DIDN'T YOU READ MY POST?

http://www.binarysleep.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9288 :idea:

I just did ... and all the other comments below it ... so am I correct in my understanding ... The recommeded ratio is 2:1, but since it now reads "recommends" instead of "maxium" the sleep center can do what they want???
jam31065

Previous

Return to AASM