Supplemental O2 and scoring hypopneas

Post sample epochs for comment, documentation, and sharing.

Moderator: labman2

Postby gakridge » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Many-sleep-to write Tech wrote:I would like to know the reasoning the OP had for initiating O2 into a PSG study. Call me heartless but it's only on extreme circumstances that I add O2 to someone. If your patient is desating down into the 70's, 60's or even 50's during a respiratory event but is returning to baseline (or close to) after the restorative breaths then I will not add O2, so as to not mask any hypopneas. Remember that these patients do this night in and night out for years and while, yes, we don't want to see sats fall that low. We're doing more of a disservice to the patient by adding O2 and covering up the events and possibly preventing them from qualifying for CPAP.

If well done, a technologist should be able to support a baseline swinging (non-event saturation) without eliminating the 4% change. It about total care. That patient will be better rested if you support him and less of a liable issue for post study driving and ensuing accidents. Until treated, he becomes a liability for the lab and reading MD if not quickly addressed. I have my staff address it but not erase the swing. If 1/2 lpm is fixing the baseline you described, there are other monitoring issues. :idea:
gakridge

Re: Supplemental O2 and scoring hypopneas

Postby Ssmith_2012 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:07 am

When marking a hypop where do you begin and end the desat
Ssmith_2012

Re: Supplemental O2 and scoring hypopneas

Postby somnonaut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:58 am

I like to start at the end of the highest plateau and end it at the end of the lowest plateau.
somnonaut

Previous

Return to Sample Epochs