ECG- wide complex ventricular tachycardia

Post sample epochs for comment, documentation, and sharing.

Moderator: labman2

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:24 am

I have only used Masimo oximeters and have never been exposed to other brands. I have never personally seen the problems you mentioned, I guess because I use the Masimo brand.
tiredjohnny1

Postby RPSGT88athome » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:12 am

I hope you consider yourself exceptionally fortunate!

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby linuxgeek » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:47 pm

I like Masimo units but I don't see much difference between them and the built-in Nellcor ones of the Sandman SD32+ amps. I've run them simultaneously all-night.

I half-suspect that Masimo is able to identify periods of movement and then it just keeps outputting the last good value. If that's the case, that's not really reading thru the movement artifact.

I do like the fact that the Masimo oximeters actually report when perfusion is low. That helps you make a decision on whether to trust the values.
linuxgeek

Postby Manny » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 pm

No sir, they do not extended averaging or employ any memory states. What they are essentially doing is similar to what we do in EEG with references. This is what also makes the masimo units more accurate under the curve where a typical nellcor unit falls flat on its face under 70% or so.
Manny

Postby linuxgeek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 pm

I know that they do adaptive signal processing to try and look through the artifact. But it's hard to tell when it is able to find a good beat and when it isn't. That's true for all oximeters. It really should be a required feature of oximeters to have a signal that outputs which beats it identified as real.

AFAIK, all oximeters only include "valid" beats in their saturation calculations. Therefore, if it can't detect the beats for a period they are not included in the calculations. That is the same as reporting on a memory state.

In sleep, we are more interested in transients (brief desaturations), especially transients from baseline. Unfortunately, oximeters are not designed as much for this application as they are for the OR & anaesthesia. The accuracy of below 70% for sleep is of little value.

There was a case study in the earlier days of Masimo products, where the Masimo oximeter continued to output a pulse wave with a beep, eventhough the doctors had stopped the patient's heart. Sounds like a good horror/sci-fi movie if you ask me.
linuxgeek

Postby RPSGT88athome » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:28 am

Wow!

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Previous

Return to Sample Epochs