HST schedules for techs

Topics related to in home sleep testing (portable monitoring)

Moderator: labman2

HST schedules for techs

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:02 am

For the labs that currently do HST, what tech schedules have you come up with? Have you hired additional help or just converted overnighters?

My lab is old school and haven't even considered HST but I think we need a plan just incase insurance companies require it.

Does the AASM have JD about HST?
Sleepy in the South

Re: HST schedules for techs

Postby MrBig » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Sleepy in the South wrote:For the labs that currently do HST, what tech schedules have you come up with? Have you hired additional help or just converted overnighters?

My lab is old school and haven't even considered HST but I think we need a plan just incase insurance companies require it.

Does the AASM have JD about HST?

We recently brought another tech to days, to help with MSLTs and HSTs. M-F, 8-5.

Y'all better get on board....
MrBig

Re: HST schedules for techs

Postby jerzey devil » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

[quote="MrBig"Y'all better get on board....[/quote]

Darn straight!
Initially we started with the HST patients just coming in and seeing the day staff (me, the manager). As volume increased we have been using the night staff to do the setup and patient education. We haven't reached the point where it warrants a day staff position yet.

Big, if I might ask how many HSTs do you do a week?
jerzey devil

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:15 am

My manager is near retirement and I doubt she would want to start something new. I think that is why we haven't done any HST, Auto SV or anything new in years. The only change that my lab has seen is going digital in 2003.

I've talked to her about expansion, ASV, HST and other things we can do to improve and update the lab but it was all declined. She's probably thinking why increase her work load.

She's not on the ball so i'm trying to find out more info for HSTs. Thanks
Sleepy in the South

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Sleepy in the South,
The manufacturer of the data acquisition systems you use in your facility may have HSTs available, as well as some of the information you are asking about.
It is the best if you can use the same scoring software brands so the techs don't have to mentally shift too much when doing an HST or PSG overread/verification.
Two cents from Pittsburgh.
:)
Rick

Postby somnonaut » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:00 pm

AND...you do not have to provide AASM with a separate ISR for your HST program scoring, since it is the same as your PSG scoring.
I did that with Compumedics and Profusion and Somte. It passed for accreditation, saying that since we also used the AASM ISR program, our HST looked exactly like the PSG waveforms, so it was covered in the ISR.
somnonaut

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:32 am

UPDATE......

It's been almost 2 years since this post and we are now "considering" HST/OCST.
Sleepy in the South

Return to Home Sleep Testing (HST)