Mail In HST

Topics related to in home sleep testing (portable monitoring)

Moderator: labman2

Mail In HST

Postby SleepyIdahoGirl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 pm

I currently work at a four bed lab in Washington state. Right now we have one HST that we can send out, but we are planning on getting more in the very near future. Right now a patient has an appt. to pick up the equipment at our lab. At this appt. the patient is registered and oriented on how to use the equipment. The patient then takes the equipment for overnight and returns it the next day(this needs to coincide with the day tech's hours.)

We were hoping to be able to start sending prepaid boxes with the patients so they could mail the equipment back to us. We have quite a few patients from out of town that don't want to come back the next day to drop off our equipment. I was wondering how other labs maneuver this?? Do you send out the equipment or do the patient's pick it up? Then how does the postage work for the patient to mail it back to us?

Thank you for any help.
SleepyIdahoGirl

Re: Mail In HST

Postby somnonaut » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:08 am

What is your catchment area size as a radius from your lab?
somnonaut

Postby SleepyIdahoGirl » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:25 am

We have people driving 80 miles to come in for a study right now. The weather right now is a deterrent as well for folks having to drive that far.
SleepyIdahoGirl

Postby picklish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:10 am

Mostly seen in lab, then sent home with a study, after signing a declaration e.g.

I, __________________________________________________, hereby take full

Responsibility for the Alice NightOne lent to me for the purpose of monitoring my breathing parameters during sleep. I will return the Alice NightOne in person or by recorded mail (insured for £2000.00) within 5 working days from the date of receiving the device.

I accept liability of £3000.00 for any loss or accidental damage to the Alice NightOne.

They get a sheet of instructions, as clear as possible, showing them how to attach the belts, cannula and pulsox, and are told to call if they have any problems or questions. Almost no one calls.

If we don't see patients in lab then we want a scanned copy of their signed declaration before sending out the kit

The is the UK though, so different regulations might apply in Idaho
picklish

Postby SleepyIdahoGirl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Thank you picklish. I think we are going to end up having patients sign a form when they pick it up to declare their intentions of how they will return it. They will either give us a date they will physically bring it back or a date they will mail it back. They can pay for the postage themselves. That way they can weigh the cost of fuel to get here vs. the postage cost.
SleepyIdahoGirl

Postby Vix » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:07 pm

We do pickups for patients who live close to the labs. Those patients complete paperwork when they come to the lab to pick up their device. We mail them out for the rest (FedEx). The mail out patients complete their paperwork via our secure online portal prior to sending the devices out. We send the return label with the device so that they can ship it back to us.
Vix

Return to Home Sleep Testing (HST)