What's going on SC ??? $8/hr

Moderator: labman2

What's going on SC ??? $8/hr

Postby Gizmo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Sleep Tech (Little River/Florence)
Sleep Tech position opening. Hours are 8:00pm until 6:00am. No experience necessary will train the right person. Would prefer someone that lives in Conway or Aynor area. All training will be done in Florence. Starting pay is $8.00. Please send resume with references.
Compensation: 8.00
Gizmo

SC

Postby showbob » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:26 pm

This does not sound good. What is minimum wage now?
showbob

Re: SC

Postby REMFarmer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:22 pm

showbob wrote:This does not sound good. What is minimum wage now?

South Carolina min wage is now $7.25

:? :shock:
REMFarmer

Postby respbarb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Point you might be missing is " no experience necessary will train the right person"
That is unskilled labor
Now when they have become skilled their salary should go up substantially. As they gain experience it should rise annually like the rest of us. When they become credentialed , it should go up even more.

We trained somebody like that and after a few years he took the exam and passed first time. He already worked for our employer, so he started a little more then that, but would have started at that had we brought him in from the outside.
Now he is in the same paygrade as RN's at our hospital.

Of course, he was the "right person"! :D
respbarb

Postby Gizmo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Respbarb, not in this case. I'm a RPSGT with a lot of experience and they will not return my phone calls or emails.

They don't want someone like us. They don't want a RPSGT because SC can still get away with it. They want to pay someone a very low wage to maximize their profits. SC REALLY needs to get on the ball with licensing of sleep techs. Where are you Randy Townsend?
Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Drive an hour north of this location and sleep labs will only hire:

RPSGT'S with scoring experience
Current CPR
Current NC polysomnography license
Pay: approx $25/hr
Gizmo

Postby respbarb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:16 pm

You may be right, but they may want to hire and train someone to do things their way. We got burned by hiring an RPSGT with BS degree with loads of experience. She looked great on paper and was a nightmare employee!
We decided the next one was going to be an trainee and was the employee I described earlier. I will admit that part of our consideration was this new employee would lower our costs, but mostly we could train him to do things our way and wouldn't come with bad habits.
But you know things are changing fast with the increasing adaptation of HST by private payers. Costs will have to go down.
If this lab is a IDTF or doctor-owned then they are more vulnerable to dropping revenue and would likely have no choice but to hire cheaper staff or face closure.
My state has yet to enact our licensure and I don't expect our salaries to rise at all when it does. We are already in the same pay grade as RN and RRT's.
respbarb

Postby Gizmo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am

I'd like to see OJT of sleep techs to be a thing of the past. RN's and RT's were once OJT too but there's not a chance of that anymore. The small, independently owned, NON-ACCREDITED labs that pay their techs wages like this need to go out of business. A stocker a Walmart even starts out at around $11/hr.

Just my opinion.
Gizmo

Postby somnonaut » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Gizmo, you are calling on Norman to help??
somnonaut

Postby Gizmo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 am

I'm not asking for anybody's help however I heard that R.T. was trying to form a SC sleep society. If I were a tech in SC, I'd certainly want to be involved.

Btw, Myrtle Beach is such a fun place to visit ... but now I know why the sleep labs there wouldn't even consider me.
Gizmo

name of Lab

Postby labman2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Is this lab callled McPAPPIES?

Maybe the techs say would you like fries with that nasal mask?

That is bad.... just close the lab if you cant afford to pay a decent wage and you use the "training someone" excuse" to be cheap...

Labman2
labman2

Postby #42dreamweaver » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:53 pm

I work at 2 large NY-Metro area University Hospital AASM labs. I make $8 more at one place than I do the other. Ive been at one place a lot longer, but even the senior techs dont make as much as I do at the other place.
#42dreamweaver

?

Postby zack » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:27 am

Why is it assumed this is a sham? Do you guys know these guys? maybe they start at $8, when they can do their own pts their pay jumps up to the standard for the area?
zack

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:37 am

I know several places in SC that pay the normal rate of low $20's. $8 is ridiculous, and if it's not a sham, the techs receiving that pittance deserve what they are getting by way of their own ignorance.
somnus diabolus

Postby zack » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:10 am

I guess I was assuming it was $8 while you learned the basics and as soon as you run anything yourself you'd get a big raise. But I guess it doesn't say.
zack

Next

Return to Salary Issues