Oh lawdy lawdy do I need that help

Moderator: labman2

Oh lawdy lawdy do I need that help

Postby Polysomnacrabs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:58 am

So, I've been in the field now for almost four years, and I am WELL AWARE of how fishy this career has been for the past couple of years (maybe longer). Times are slow, insurances are strange, yada yada yada.

This is my issue:

I just got registered, and work PRN at one lab on the weekends making about $21.00 an hour. I was promised a raise once I got registered, but the person who hired me, and promised me this no longer works there.

They want to put me on full-time, and I'm not sure about this. I work for another lab on weekdays, and they gave me a SUBSTANTIAL raise after I got registered. Problem is they're soooo slow, whereas the other lab is a bit busier. This year has been really difficult for the lab I work for on weekdays, and for me, as you can imagine.

Even if I do not take the full time position, should I still be entitled to my raise? I guess my confusion is just with the shift of the industry, and how much the private labs are really hurting. I don't really know what to ask for anymore. This PRN lab I work for on the weekends though seems to be doing alright.

I swear I have a pair of testicles! I just don't know what to assume about this field anymore. Everything I was ever told about how great this industry is when I first started as a sleep tech has been an absolute fairy tale :( and I never am certain what move I should play with in an industry so downright uncertain. I still like what I do, and I would love to evolve my career in the medical field....but a brutha has to pay the bills.

How should I pursue this?

And thank you very much for all your time.
Polysomnacrabs

Re: Oh lawdy lawdy do I need that help

Postby somnonaut » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Did you ask lab #2 (slow lab with higher pay) what their plans are for increasing census? This is definitely something that should be talked about.
somnonaut

Postby stage0 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:09 pm

There are a couple of areas that your full-time lab should be persuing for business
1. the area trucking business. Current DOT laws mandate a clinical PSG for CRT operators that do not pass an initial exam
2. also any public carrier for passengers...cabbies, pilots, medical transport, eldercare
3. Pedi docs lots of business in kiddos
4. a thank you luncheon for current ordering docs
5. have courage...even with HST being persued by ins. cos.; out lab is still seeing the same pt. for a titration PSG

Hope this helps
stage0

Postby zack » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 am

Polysomnacrabs wrote:So, I've been in the field now for almost four years, and I am WELL AWARE of how fishy this career has been for the past couple of years (maybe longer). Times are slow, insurances are strange, yada yada yada.

This is my issue:

I just got registered, and work PRN at one lab on the weekends making about $21.00 an hour. I was promised a raise once I got registered, but the person who hired me, and promised me this no longer works there.

They want to put me on full-time, and I'm not sure about this. I work for another lab on weekdays, and they gave me a SUBSTANTIAL raise after I got registered. Problem is they're soooo slow, whereas the other lab is a bit busier. This year has been really difficult for the lab I work for on weekdays, and for me, as you can imagine.

Even if I do not take the full time position, should I still be entitled to my raise? I guess my confusion is just with the shift of the industry, and how much the private labs are really hurting. I don't really know what to ask for anymore. This PRN lab I work for on the weekends though seems to be doing alright.

I swear I have a pair of testicles! I just don't know what to assume about this field anymore. Everything I was ever told about how great this industry is when I first started as a sleep tech has been an absolute fairy tale :( and I never am certain what move I should play with in an industry so downright uncertain. I still like what I do, and I would love to evolve my career in the medical field....but a brutha has to pay the bills.

How should I pursue this?

And thank you very much for all your time.

If you don't mind me sayig so, you seem very pre-occupied with your ideas and opinions about the sleep industry, when perhaps you should keep it more simple and down to earth.

You were promised a raise, it is either still possible or not, so find out. If you can, find out what other labs in your area pay and make a comparison. But at the end of the day you will take or leave what they can offer.

Now, as far as evaluating one lab compared to another, theres good questions you can ask, then you just have to follow your gut. Like Somno said, how will they handle low census. Look at Stage0s suggestions, ask if they have any ideas or opinions about those. In the end, go with who seems the most together and eager to adapt.
zack

Return to Salary Issues