Leak on Resmed Devices

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2, respbarb

Leak on Resmed Devices

Postby pdeyoung » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Hey Guys

Quick question. I have a lab that I am running a small research study out of (not my site). They have Resmed Titration units and Sandman software. The leak for all the masks are VERY low. Almost unbelievable low (ranges from 0 most of the night up to about 15l/m, MULTIPLE Pts, Multiple masks, and Multiple Nights and Rooms). How can i check that the leak is accurate.
pdeyoung

Re: Leak on Resmed Devices

Postby somnonaut » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Are you reading the leak on the machine faceplate or what is in te PSG display?
somnonaut

Postby linuxgeek » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:56 am

Resmed only reports unintentional leak (attempts to subtract expected leak).

You have to have the correct mask type selected for this to work ok. If you have a FFM selected, but you actually used a Nasal mask, then you'll likely get zero all night.
It won't report a negative leak value, so it will be zero. In those cases, you can never go back and figure out in the psg signals what the leak actually was.

I prefer the reporting of actual leak: (uninentional leak + intentional leak)
linuxgeek

Postby bduce » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:15 am

I think the recording of total leak or unintentional leak fine (we use the ResMed system). Either system you use, you will still need to know the intentional leak characteristics across the pressure range for the mask you are using. In fact in some labs and hospital wards, I have a single leak value as the threshold regardless of what pressure is being used. Does not make sense!
bduce

Postby somnonaut » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Again,
Is what you are reading from the PSG, or from the EasycareTx software report (face plate values recorded internally in the software)? Do you use the internal reporting function to capture every setting change within the system and not just rely on gross pressure changes as shown in the PSG?

If the former, make sure your calibration into the PSG is correct. (There is a means from within the Easycare software to test the hi and lo values. It is called DC output test in the Menu pulldown. See graphic attached.
If the latter, then use a known leak valve to check the operation of the machine and test the leak values at the full range of pressures, and corroborate that the face plate values match the PSG values.
I used to have a plastic end cap with a hole (approx 7mm) that would fit into the CPAP tubing providing a calibrated leak. It was from Resmed. Does anyone know the name of, or where to obtain said known leak caps/plugs?
Attachments
CPAP test.jpg
CPAP test.jpg (184.15 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
somnonaut

Postby bduce » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:39 pm

ResMed used to provide those leak caps. Still got 6 and not giving any away!
bduce

Postby linuxgeek » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:53 am

You mean they produce the same leak rate regardless of pressure?
linuxgeek

Postby bduce » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:58 am

No. Unfortunately they use the same leak threshold (ie for when to intervene/ not intervene) regardless of the set pressure! One ward uses the magical leak threshold of 50 L/min total leak for good vs bad leak!!! Go figure :shock:
bduce

Postby dream police » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:53 pm

The way it was explained to me (by our ResMed sales rep) is that after you select which type of mask is being used, the leak value is "x" lpm above and beyond the acceptable leak at that pressure for that mask. Groovy if you're using a ResMed mask. If it's another co's, you would need to do some figuring. (i.e. Use the set pressure and mask selected to get the acceptable leak, then add the displayed leak to get the actual leak.)
dream police

Return to Setup and Collection Questions