pay for tech II or techs scoring while running studies

Moderator: labman2

pay for tech II or techs scoring while running studies

Postby sleepyVT » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:22 am

Our lab runs 2 pts per night and the techs are responsible for scoring (w/report) at least one of the studies. If there is down census, we potentially run one study and score 2-4 studies additionally. We do have day techs to score the remaining studies, but was curious if this was the norm to run studies and score?

I don't mind scoring my study as it runs, and frequently I will score both studies. (we run all types studies, RBD, MSLT, pedis, etc etc) I'm merely curious do other labs pay more for their night techs to score while running studies, or is this the expectation in most other labs as well?

Our lab is in the NE and base pay for tech II w/5yrs exp is roughly $22 plus $3 shift diff... Is this on par with other areas?
sleepyVT

Postby SLEEPICHIC » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:01 am

Not really sure what a "norm" is anymore in this field but I do know in Florida (and other places) there is often a 3:1 ratio and you score 2 (not every lab but some). So...your situation is not abnormal. As far as your pay rate goes...I think low for the Northeast, avg for the South. Unless of course there are loads of techs in your area. I guess in an economy with a 9+ % unemployment rate, having a job right now is....... :D
SLEEPICHIC

Postby #42dreamweaver » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 pm

That's crazy. I was under the assumption that all labs are the same everywhere and that we all are supposed to do everything uniformly. I've never heard of different labs running different policy and procedure and paying people different rates. Just crazy......
#42dreamweaver

Postby LadyCandy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 am

#42dreamweaver wrote:That's crazy. I was under the assumption that all labs are the same everywhere and that we all are supposed to do everything uniformly. I've never heard of different labs running different policy and procedure and paying people different rates. Just crazy......

HAHAHAHA

The norm in pay follows the guidelines of worth. Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I think that much scoring on top of acquisition is worth more pay per hour, but you'll never find someone making what their time and efforts are really worth. Especially even if calculated into how much profits the company keeps because they're not paying someone else to do that scoring.

In the long run it's up to each individual technologist to establish their own worth, if you think you deserve more pay for what you do, demand it or find a lab that will provide it. Obviously if you're self-worth is unrealistic this will be problematic.

Also keep in mind smaller IDTFs, and labs might just be incapable of paying you the wages that your experience, skill, and efforts provide for them.

Wages are a battle, and not one that will be lost by a new credential, I might add. ;)

For me, in NC. I'd expect $25 + whatever shift diff may exist, minimum for the work load you mentioned and the experience of the tech performing it. :)
LadyCandy

Postby LadyCandy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:19 am

I will add that I have in my past (was under 5 years exp at the time) made several dollars less than you stated for a very similar work load :)

Just gotta keep climbing that ladder, always upgrade, never downgrade!
LadyCandy

Postby SLEEPICHIC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:57 am

#42dreamweaver wrote:That's crazy. I was under the assumption that all labs are the same everywhere and that we all are supposed to do everything uniformly. I've never heard of different labs running different policy and procedure and paying people different rates. Just crazy......

There are techs working for $15.00/hr in various states but would likely never admit it on this site :(
SLEEPICHIC

Postby #42dreamweaver » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

I'm being facetious.... I couldn't help it. People always seem mystified that things are different from lab to lab and state to state.
#42dreamweaver

Postby SLEEPICHIC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:26 am

#42dreamweaver wrote:I'm being facetious.... I couldn't help it. People always seem mystified that things are different from lab to lab and state to state.

:lol:

But facetious or not...$15.00/hr? Ugh!!!
SLEEPICHIC

Postby somnonaut » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:56 am

And on top of that some in the sleep field think techs are expecting to make too high a salary. We need to show them our utility.
somnonaut

Postby mybelle20 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:55 am

I run 2 studies per night and am responsible for scoring both and completing the reports in the morning as well as cleaning all equipment and making the beds.

I have been working since 2007 and registerd in 2008 and i make $28 an hour in Arizona.
mybelle20

Postby #42dreamweaver » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:02 pm

You forgot to tell us your turn on/turn offs, your favorite color, people you'd most want to meet and why you should be Ms.Binary.
#42dreamweaver

Postby #42dreamweaver » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:59 pm

SLEEPICHIC wrote:
#42dreamweaver wrote:I'm being facetious.... I couldn't help it. People always seem mystified that things are different from lab to lab and state to state.

But facetious or not...$15.00/hr? Ugh!!!

You're absolutely correct, I make double that at my hospital based gig + overtime for anything over 37.5 hours weekly, i get paid the same if I run one study or 2, and they ask me to score periodically if there are no patients and a backlog of records. It's crazy what's going on in sleep. Hopefully, the recent passing of a polysomnography bill in my state will help improve payscale.
#42dreamweaver

Postby skeepy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:26 am

Dude, if you're making over $30 an hour and you're harping for more money you either need a wake up call or the cost of living where you're at is crappy. I make $16/hr in Texas, no shift diff, I have my CPSGT, plus a Bachelor's degree and 4 years experience in the sleep field. I'm thinking I need to talk to the boss about seeing how much of a raise he'll be able to offer once I pass my registry exam.
skeepy

Postby RPSGT88athome » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:33 am

you just need to move away from texas. Pass the registry and move. At least an $8/hr raise.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby skeepy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:05 am

I'm not in the position to move out of state at the moment...
skeepy

Next

Return to Salary Issues