11%
I will not renew my membership
19%
I was never a member
14%

Total votes : 36

AAST Membership renewal?

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 pm

I just received an email about renewing my AAST membership. I have been a member for over 25 years, but I am not sure the AAST really represents me anymore. At one time I felt pride in being a member of what I always thought was the professional society of RPSGT credential holders. Now I find the AAST leadership is willing to be and support less than I thought. Maybe my expectations were too high.

As a member, I have not been happy with some decisions made by the leadership and the lack of communication with the membership. No one bothers to ask the membership what direction they want thier professional society to go in or support. Now I need to make a decision about continuing to pay $100 a year to an organization that is unsupportive of my credential, non responsive to the concerns of the membership and totally uncommunicative.

What do you think?
Jayhawkhenry

Postby somnonaut » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 pm

At least I get to vote who is in the chairs in the AAST. The BRPT doesn't even recognize the credential holders as stake holders. We get Nuthin, not even the ability to vote the supposed leaders out. nuthin, nuthin, nuthin.

When all else fails, PASTA is the way to go.
somnonaut

Re: AAST Membership renewal?

Postby labman2 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Jayhawkhenry wrote:I just received an email about renewing my AAST membership. I have been a member for over 25 years, but I am not sure the AAST really represents me anymore. At one time I felt pride in being a member of what I always thought was the professional society of RPSGT credential holders. Now I find the AAST leadership is willing to be and support less than I thought. Maybe my expectations were too high.

As a member, I have not been happy with some decisions made by the leadership and the lack of communication with the membership. No one bothers to ask the membership what direction they want thier professional society to go in or support. Now I need to make a decision about continuing to pay $100 a year to an organization that is unsupportive of my credential, non responsive to the concerns of the membership and totally uncommunicative.

What do you think?

Jayhawk

I understand your disappointment. I received the same letter. Several months ago, after they went mum over the RST for a week, I was thinking I was done with them. It seemed the only reason to join was the A2Zzz magazine. But, even that is nowhere near the same as when Theresa was the editor.

Then, I saw SPA come around, and was ready to jump in over there but decided not to when I saw what i believed was intolerance for any opinions.

So, I believe , as you stated, the best way may be to work from within, and try and effect change. You are someone that I could work with even if we disagreed with some items because you are professional, experienced, and respectful. I think you are a credit to the sleep field and admire your strong convictions.

So, lately, I have been thinking as you have stated before, to try and join AAST and be a positive force in the changes that are needed.

This is what you mentioned a few times in prior posts, to get involved and use the energy inside the current organizations.

So I ask you as a value your input, has your view changed about working for answers within the AAST? Is this in your opinion not a realistic proposition due to politics etc.?

Can we not get a few of our candidates elected-or is the election process built in such a manner to stop any good intentioned folks from having access in any menaingful manner?

I am not anti-BRPT, nor am I anti AASM, or AAST. The problems I mention are because I care. I could overlook these problems, remain silent , and perhaps not care as I am not a tech just starting a career-but unfortunately for me, and at the expense of arguing with some not so nice and cordial folks, I do care.

I do care for the right reasons. -not to make a business out of the current chaos- or to increase my compant revenues by offering training courses for the BRPT, but because this field has allowed me a great living and I have met some wonderful folks such as yourself.

So, I still believe there is a chance to fix this within our own family, even with their faults- the AAST, the AASM, and the BRPT. Have you stopped feeling that is possible?

Thanks for asking- sorry, that once again , I got LONG -WINDED!!!

PS- till I saw this I was going to take your challenge and rejoin, and try to promote the change from the existing entity... now I am back on the fence if you feel it is time to abandon ship.
labman2

Postby JHawks93 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:36 am

Well said, Labman.
Well said.
JHawks93

Postby RPSGT88athome » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 am

I stopped sending my money to that group several years ago. What was I getting for my dues payment? Nothing except my name being sold to vendors who kept sending me junk mail all the time. WOW that's worth my money.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby RPSGT88athome » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:39 am

I don't need to be validated by being a "member" of any group. If I belong it is to get something back or further a shared philosophical cause. Don't ask for my money and then do neither of the two.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Refreshed

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 am

Thanks Labman 2, you have restored my resolve. I will renew and continue on course. I am disappointed that there is no room in AAST for members views if those views do not support the status quo. I am disappointed that the leadership has chosen to move in the direction AAST is headed without consulting with membership. It is not the Board of Directors and Executive officers toy to do with as they please, the members pay the bills and need a voice in shaping where the profession is going.

I was disappointed to see that the AAST wasted no time in removing a similar pole I posted on the member forum. But to be honest I expected that.

I will renew and work for change as I have said. A lot needs to change and it will take time and effort.

Regards,
Jayhawkhenry

Postby somnonaut » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:18 am

Henry for AAST president.
somnonaut

sounds great

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 am

Glad to hear henry! And if you are in, i am there with you. So can you please change my vote from " thinking about it" to " renewing " . By the way, i have an aast election poll on PASTA. Feel free to vote. All are welcome. Kind of a non-denominational think tank of concerned or disappointed folks!
Keep your spirits up JH! Lets assemble some folks and make our best efforts to try and make a difference!
labman2

Postby strawberri » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 am

I'm a bit peeved at AAST right now....for a childish reason I suppose...but I will join them if I have the extra money when renewal time rolls around. I really enjoy the magazine, and the Membership Directory is helpful.

Why am I peeved? This is my email:

Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:35 AM
Subject: Sleep Tech Appreciation Poster

We heard several people talking on Facebook about the nice poster AAST made for Sleep Tech Appreciation Week...but we didn't receive ours? I am a member of the AAST, just wondering why. Thanks....

ANSWER:
Date: Mon, October 03, 2011 5:48 pm
To: <mthompson>

Marcia,
The Sleep Technologist Appreciation Week posters were mailed to members who requested it when they renewed their membership. Did you request a poster?
Have a good day – Chris

Christopher Waring

American Association of Sleep Technologists
Coordinator
Phone: (630) 737-9704 | Fax: (630) 737-9788

American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Facilities Manager
Phone: (630) 737-9700 | Fax: (630) 737-9790

2510 North Frontage Road
Darien, IL 60561-1511

MY REPLY:
Yes, I did.
However, it's too late to do anything about it now....thanks.

See? Very childish I suppose...but I paid my $100 and wanted the poster...lol!!! So blah! By the way, what exactly do facilities managers do? Just wondering.
strawberri

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 am

strawberri wrote:I'm a bit peeved at AAST right now....for a childish reason I suppose...but I will join them if I have the extra money when renewal time rolls around. I really enjoy the magazine, and the Membership Directory is helpful.

Why am I peeved? This is my email:

Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:35 AM
Subject: Sleep Tech Appreciation Poster

We heard several people talking on Facebook about the nice poster AAST made for Sleep Tech Appreciation Week...but we didn't receive ours? I am a member of the AAST, just wondering why. Thanks....

ANSWER:
Date: Mon, October 03, 2011 5:48 pm
To: <mthompson>

Marcia,
The Sleep Technologist Appreciation Week posters were mailed to members who requested it when they renewed their membership. Did you request a poster?
Have a good day – Chris

Christopher Waring

American Association of Sleep Technologists
Coordinator
Phone: (630) 737-9704 | Fax: (630) 737-9788

American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Facilities Manager
Phone: (630) 737-9700 | Fax: (630) 737-9790

2510 North Frontage Road
Darien, IL 60561-1511

MY REPLY:
Yes, I did.
However, it's too late to do anything about it now....thanks.

See? Very childish I suppose...but I paid my $100 and wanted the poster...lol!!! So blah! By the way, what exactly do facilities managers do? Just wondering.

I am touched by your story . Therfore a site founder of PASTA with over 2432 members now ( i think) I am authorized to send you the complete box set of SOMNO SINGS SINATRA. We here at PASTA hopes this helps you overcome this unfortunate incident. BTW, at PASTA , our facilities manager position is open. We had to fire the last guy. We found out he was stuffing ourt PASTA posters in his trunk instead of mailing em!

Sincerely
Joe Pesto
labman2

Postby stars » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:59 am

Berry I am glad smile and sense of humor back to you
Thanks for pm
stars

Postby stars » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:10 am

To head of PASTA
Maybe we offer free box SSS"somno Sinatra to everybody
who will buy one box organic pasta from local food store
To support new life style " you with pasta sleep problem gone"
stars

Postby somnonaut » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:28 pm

SSS
Somno Sings Sinatra
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Strawberri,
That would have pissed me off to no end also. In fact, now thinking about it, YES I also did ask for a poster too.
somnonaut

Next

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET