pay for tech II or techs scoring while running studies

Moderator: labman2

Postby SCNVsleep » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Not sure where you're at in Texas, but I run labs all over the state and don't pay ANYONE that low. You work for either a very cheap or very cash poor lab.
SCNVsleep

Postby #42dreamweaver » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:23 am

skeepy wrote:Dude, if you're making over $30 an hour and you're harping for more money you either need a wake up call or the cost of living where you're at is crappy. I make $16/hr in Texas, no shift diff, I have my CPSGT, plus a Bachelor's degree and 4 years experience in the sleep field. I'm thinking I need to talk to the boss about seeing how much of a raise he'll be able to offer once I pass my registry exam.

Dude- There's about 20 labs in NY I can & have worked for, I chose to work at the top 2 University hospital labs in the area that provide job security, best working conditions and that pay me the most. If you're not making what you feel you deserve, look elsewhere. Dude.
#42dreamweaver

Postby RPSGT88athome » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:07 am

Ok and skeepy, thats what I was being paid 17 years ago...but I got shift differentials on top of it.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby skeepy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:17 pm

The hard truth about the area where I'm at is a lot of the labs are not hiring right now. So it's not like I'm complaining about my salary while there are open positions at other places. That's just dumb to sit and complain. I'm very proactive with submitting resumes, calling different sleep lab managers and networking, etc. "Dude"

On a positive note, this new place does offer yearly raises that come with good individual evaluations. At my old lab I worked at for over 3 years whatever salary you got was it. Sure I got shift diff, but when you're stuck making the same pay rate for 3 years it sucks big time. I like the working environment at my new lab but I'm also looking into working at another sleep lab too. I've only been at the new place for a couple on months and it's really not bad. I just wish the pay was a little better but maybe it will increase in the near future once I'm Registered. I've been networking and I have a really good chance of getting a position in about a month or two.
skeepy

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:47 am

MY company runs 6 different labs, we are contracted by the sleep labs. We run two patients for each tech at our 4 bed labs and 2:1 at our 2 bed labs. All registered tchs must score two complete studies and there is noone there during the daytime to score or to handle any filing or anything else. RPSGT's with scoring may $20 and up depending on years working.
Nick

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:05 am

Overnigh techs need to concentrate on acquisition. They should not be required to have final reports ready in the morning. That is just plain crazy. When I started, it was one tech monitoring two patients. Then it was one tech monitoring two patients while scoring on the fly, then one tech for two patients while scoring on the fly with one final report. Now labs want one tech per two patients with two final reports or even one tech per three patients with scoring on the fly. What's next, one tech for three patients with three final reports?

Soon it will be one tech for three patients with three final reports and a lower pay rate because of the CMS reimburstments.

When does it stop? It's getting dangerous out there.
Sleepy in the South

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:25 am

I was running my two patients, finalizing my two reports and scoring the other two patients prior to leaving in the am, along with making beds filing charts, making charts, answering voicemails.emails, and doing 12 studies in 3 days.

I am at another sleep lab company and I make $1 less per hour and I only moitor and titrate patients there. It is crazy
Nick

Postby Onesight1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:15 am

18.00$/hr here in Northeastern PA

RPSGT/RST with 3 years in field...

I have no one to compare to. I feel its a little low.

Luckily I have infinite O/T so my gross income is ~45-47k

but seriously... 18/h decent? private lab. 2pt/1tech + score on fly and finalize paperwork......and clean rooms -_-
Onesight1

Postby somnonaut » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Nick wrote:I was running my two patients, finalizing my two reports and scoring the other two patients prior to leaving in the am, along with making beds filing charts, making charts, answering voicemails.emails, and doing 12 studies in 3 days.

I am at another sleep lab company and I make $1 less per hour and I only moitor and titrate patients there. It is crazy

You are doing 4 PSGs per night?
somnonaut

Postby RedSoxSleepGuy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 am

I saw the 4 PSG/night quote and I am hoping that was just bad math.....But he could be a Yankee fan which would make him somewhat "funny" in the head......
RedSoxSleepGuy

Postby somnonaut » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 am

Hmmm, math, as in...
Boston's 6 World Series equaling the Yankees 27.

Oh like that math. I see.
somnonaut

Postby SpindleMe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm in the Midwest, we run 2 patients per night, score and stage and run the reports in the morning so the patients can be called by the MD the following day with results. We run Peds and adults, everything from splits, Cpap, Bipap, ASV and AVAPs, RBD, MSLTs and anything else you can think of. We also do inpatients in the hospital we are affiliated with at the bedside in the ICUs and also must completely score/stage and finalize records by the AM. We make roughly $22 and hour. Not sure how that compares with other Midwest labs.
SpindleMe

Postby rip van winkle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 pm

just wondering if everyone has benefits included with the hourly wages mentioned?

with benefits some of you are doing pretty well!!! I was amazed at a recent place how many non registered techs were exceeding $30.00 per an hour with shift difs they were making a killing (extra few buck). Granted they did have 8 or so years with that company.
rip van winkle

Postby munkyBeatz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:04 pm

If you are running 2 studies and scoring/drafting reports for interp, then you should definitely be paid more. I mean, the lab is saving money on the scoring end so they should at minimal offer slightly higher pay. However, I agree with LadyCandy in that lab circumstances prevail. If the labs monthly patient loads don't add up financially then it's bust.

However, I DO believe that ALL techs should be scoring the first half of at least one of their studies every night. Preferably both, if they're not running an ordered titration. When I first started in sleep, my manager required me to score one study until 2am. This was after an initial training period. But, what it did was allow me to better understand what I was looking at, grasp much more of what was going on throughout the night, and better assess the patient for Split protocols. This also helps to combat dreaded tech complacency for seasoned and registered techs. I don't believe extra pay should be 'required' for instances such as this, as it only helps to elevate a techs conceptual knowledge of sleep, and lead to better treatment for the patient. Also aides the lab, as it lessens the likelihood of losing reimbursements due to tech's splitting with low AHI's.

So, to summarize, if you're actually scoring/drafting reports for interp, then you should get something extra. However, I think all techs (registered or not) should score at least half the night. IMHO
munkyBeatz

Postby LadyCandy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:45 am

I find most weaknesses in accomplishing optimal titration (aside from not paying attention :roll: ) is either not scoring the respiratory as the study goes along, or being incapable of identifying respiratory events entirely.

I agree, techs who are only acquiring should score at least the respiratory (PLMs and arousals aren't critical if they're not doing the reports), if only to be more aware of their patient's split qualifications and or titration progress.
LadyCandy

PreviousNext

Return to Salary Issues