Pay in the So Cal area

Moderator: labman2

Pay in the So Cal area

Postby guerrero_rokero » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 am

So I've been working at this private lab in El Centro, CA for 5 yrs on and off. Been registered for 3. I got bumped from $11 to $15 after getting registered. Okay so we run a 6-8 bed lab with three of us RPSGTs scoring two studies each with no extra compensation for it. I've tried talking to the boss about a raise to no avail. We are the only lab in about a 50 mile radius so we are definitely not short on patients. He keeps using the reduced compensation by medi-cal and medi-care as a reason to why he can't do it. Any suggestions guys?
guerrero_rokero

Re: Pay in the So Cal area

Postby Hypnagogic Hal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Quit. If you were at my lab, you'd make twice as much and pay half the taxes. Your work has more value than that - don't let these turkeys get away with paying you chump change. You could make that flipping burgers at In N' Out. You're a professional, so demand professional wages. If they won't pay, don't give them the benefit of your skills and knowledge. They can't run the place by themselves or they would. Move if you have to - it will be worth it.
Hypnagogic Hal

Postby MrBig » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:46 am

We frequently forget that a "job" is simply bartering. You are exchanging your time, labor, and knowledge in EXCHANGE for whatever it may be (cash, or more realistically, electronic "money"). Take that and do what you will with it.
MrBig

Postby davioh2001 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:47 pm

I may be shooting myself in the foot (further career in sleep?) for stepping in but I was in a similar deal of about $16/hour 5 years ago. It was 3x 12 hour shifts thurs, fri, sat. the shift differential was only 50 cents per hour and only for Friday night lol (big extra $6 a week). Anyway I since went and got further education and am now doing something no longer on nights , no longer in sleep. I did enjoy sleep but can't find a decent paying job worth staying in it. I had a posting for wanting employment in a hot job market of Houston TX but literally only had 1 reply in now close to 18months! Been BRPT RPSGT certified since 2008 and 2.5 years in an AASM lab. I also got my CCSH and that made no difference in replies, offers or wages AT ALL!
PS the Aldi grocery stores they open up around Houston are paying around your same wages for a cashier ($14-$15) and around $22 for a manager (obviously all during day shifts).
davioh2001

Postby guerrero_rokero » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:50 am

Thanks for the response guys. Yeah we are getting raped hahahaha. So we talked to the Dr about a raise. We at least would like to get compensated for scoring on the run, which is currently included in the $15 we make hourly. His reasoning is "It is the new standard" which I really doubt. Is this true? I have worked in other labs and this was not the case...
guerrero_rokero

Postby glenn » Fri May 27, 2016 1:06 pm

RPSGT scoring should salary at a RRT's pay with night & weekend diff @ a hosp lab anyway.
glenn

Postby rpiazzo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Good morning SoCal! How's this for a solution? 4 bed private lab, AASM accredited, need dedicated RPSGT, 4 nights per week, 10 hr. shift, weekends off, two pts./ night, compensation 55K+/yr. + benefits. Must relocate to Santa Maria area. Send resume' to:
smsleepcenter@gmail.com or call 805-347-9132. Ask for Paul. Let's talk.
rpiazzo

Return to Salary Issues