Moving states - MO to PA

Moderator: labman2

Moving states - MO to PA

Postby tbrpsgt » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:48 am

hello,

this MAY be in the wrong forum, if so feel free to move it.

I am looking to move from Missouri to PA, to take care of aging family members but can not afford to be without a job. I am a lead tech here in Missouri and am looking for anything sleep related in PA (Hopefully easton/bethelehem area) what are the salaries like in that area? I spoke to someone months ago, a Dr. who ran his own lab and he said tops (for RPSGT in 4 bed lab) was about $15 an hour..... and well thats no where NEAR what I am making. thats less than what I started at!! before I was an RPSGT.

whats the salaries like in PA? lots of opportunities? i know they're adding hospitals like crazy in the area, but.. that doesnt always correlate to adding more sleep jobs.

lemme know when you can. Thanks!

I have considered expanding to NJ, but that licensure fee... YIKES! and every two years? crazy. will if I have to though.
tbrpsgt

Re: Moving states - MO to PA

Postby Dcrazy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:11 am

I live in ohio. I am not a sleep tech, nor registered.I decided to go with Nurse Practitioner route( taking pre-reqs now....Already took AP 1 and 2, Human Growth, Med term, etc. Now taking Micro Biology ). I can say this, I was very interested in sleep, as I myself suffer from it. I was considered the " Worst " case for sleep...bc literally you can give me off label Anti- depression drugs( for sedating effects ), anti anxiety( for sedation ) and Ambien. Nothing Works. My internal clock is designed for 4 A.M for bed. If I bust my arse off all day or am relaxed...it does not matter. 3-4 A.M. Which is what made me a great sleep tech candidate lol. I had a doc offer me an internship. He said techs in my area made between 16-23 an hour. Trainees make $12-14. This is a private lab. I can tell you...I also looked into OT( Occupational Therapy ), they paid $30 an hour in Ohio, but in Pittsburgh P.A( a bigger city, higher cost of living ) make only $24.00 an hr....which is garbage for a Masters Occupational Therapist. I just said F it, and N.Ps make $40-44 an hour. So, what I am saying, is the doctor alluded to me making $21 an hour for a sleep tech in Ohio. A friend of mine, who went onto P.A School( Physician Assistant ), was a Registered tech and made $22-23 an hour in Ohio. She started as a secretary at a lab, then trainee, then 3 years of experience as a registered tech. She just graduated as a P.A. So all that being said, it seems P.A( the state ) pays less in certain areas. However, those are Ohio numbers on the P.A border. Also, my advice learn some Health Information as well. Take one or two classes. I know my science background and my thoughts on delivering and stream lining care probably played a role, with doc giving me a quote of $21 an hr for a brand new registered Tech. However, conversely L.P.N.s make more in Pennsylvania. I know my step sister in one. She would only make $15 an hour in ohio, but P.A pays $18-19 an hour. So she just drives 30 minutes into P.A and makes almost 10k more a year. She lives in ohio. Where she works is not a big City...so it may seem less metro areas in P,A pay more, see OT. GL.
Dcrazy

Postby Dcrazy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:19 am

Also to piggy back on what I wrote above^^^^Sleep techs that were registered I know some major hospitals were paying 80K if they had their Bachelors degrees. This was based on what Directors were saying. However, that was in 2007. It seemed something happened in Health care and I doubt that is the case anymore. These were for research jobs...probably the BOOM of sleep technology, that seems over. Idk if anyone can chime in on that.
Dcrazy

Postby somnonaut » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:50 pm

There are still mgr jobs around for $60/hr.
somnonaut

Return to Salary Issues