Night shift of cancer risk

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Re: Night shift of cancer risk

Postby RayMeece » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 am

you never asked me to move anywhere....
RayMeece

Postby RayMeece » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 am

I am sure that most of Claude's 14000 posts (How does someone have that much to say??) are political rants about one thing or another - ridiculous!!
RayMeece

Postby stars » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:25 am

Well Ray try this way if you to sensitive to Claude comment just smart way ignore.Second point Claude never will be change . Just accept this as fact
Try talk about sleep where he is without question]s 100% top adviser. He can/t go to Canada to conservative to Canada standard.You cant go to Russia you to sensitive .
stars

Postby RayMeece » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 am

LOL. well said, Mike, well said.
RayMeece

Postby RayMeece » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 am

You suggested ignoring him - I haven't fully read ANY of his recent posts, so I am well on my way with that one. LOL
RayMeece

Postby truckerdave1970 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 am

Wait....is there a risk of cancer associated with working nights???

I know one thing for certain....there is no risk of having a social life with working nights!
truckerdave1970

Postby RayMeece » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:19 am

Sure there is - just keep the same schedule when you are off - then you are up all night. That could be a good social life.... If you are in to that sort of thing.

LOL
RayMeece

Postby Tech » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Without reading the cancer article, I have always maintained the following: That anyone who works nights suffers circadian rhythm disorder (ASA classification G47.20) , self-imposed. For informed people in the sleep tech world, this is particularly poignant, as we know this, while other night workers may not, even though they are probably aware of the "day-by-day" effects night shift work has on them, if only intuitively. The night-working polysomnographer sacrifices his/her health to the service of patients exactly as would a Respiratory Therapist who might be required to smoke in order to do his or her profession, or a dietician who must eat a diet of junk food in order to practice dietary counselling. Unlike the two latter professions, the night sleep tech works in an unresolvable dilemma.

Fully attended nocturnal PSG's are the gold standard of sleep diagnostics and treatment trials, and somebody has to do them. The person who commits to becoming an RPSGT realizes, sooner or later, the multiple physical, psychological and social health risks associated with this profession, through gained academic understanding, suffering social consequences, or by actually getting sick.

There is no real answer to this conundrum. But it can be addressed by: 1) Compensating sleep techs generously with wages and benefits, 2) Providing sleep lab facilities that are ergonomically appropriate and facilitate ease of work, 3) Providing administrative support so that the sleep techs can focus fully on their polysomnography tasks, 4) Refraining from interrupting sleep techs during their off-duty time when they must strive to get what good sleep they can, and, 5) Recognizing their sacrifice, commitment, and expertise by acknowledgement, and by providing quality resource materials and support for continuing education.

Even with this, it remains that the night-working PSG tech cannot help but continue on professionally in the knowledge that in doing so, he or she damages him- or her self in the service of patients and the businesses for whom they are employed. Could increased cancer risk be a part of this picture? I have no trouble believing that it could.
Tech

Postby somnonaut » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:57 am

It's because we are true Bodhisattvas.
https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-be-a-bodhisattva-2/
somnonaut

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics