Anyone out there using Stellate?

Anyone out there using Stellate?

Postby SleepyinSD » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm

Looked at this system and it looks really good, but there does not seem to be much here on it?

Positives and negatives..

Thanks a zillion,

Sleepy
SleepyinSD

Postby DMS » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Stellate has improved greatly in the past few years, but is still not nearly as user friendly as Sandman, or the quality of signals during collection.
DMS

Postby blink5times » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:55 am

Been using the Stellate system for over a year now. As far as the hardware goes, it's a fine system. I have no problems recording a clean study or getting impedences down (which were problems with our old NK stuff).
As far as software goes the only nice parts are defineable hotkeys for frequently used log entries, and lookback video. Oh, and you can turn off channel clipping. The bad stuff is plenty. It takes way too many mouse clicks to do almost anything. Scoring a test is a nightmare. If I click and drag over 10 seconds of a C3 waveform the software should know I'm scoring an arousal, not marking a LM or apnea.
We had problems getting the snore mike to work in the "mic" input. Tech support was unable to help, and now we plug it into Fz and Cz. We can't get the software to remember the filter setting for the snore mike, it keeps resetting it to EEG settings. Channel derivations and colors are set in the montage, but filter settings are set in the workspace. This makes no sense to me.
Lastly, we're still waiting for software that is compliant to the new AASM guidelines. This was promised to be here by july 1.
Buy Sandman.
blink5times

Postby Sleepy Gal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:27 am

to many boxes the person needs to carry around...the jack box, pressure sensor box, and sum ab belts etc....plus they run on batteries....if batteries run out in the middle of the night you have to wake up the patient....very frustrating
Sleepy Gal

Postby somnonaut » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa,
Blink 5 times said:
"and lookback video."

You can review the VIDEO in the lookback window DURING acquisition? Even while the video file is still open and being written to? What video driver or board are they using?
somnonaut

Postby blink5times » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:00 am

Yikes! Sorry Somno I can't believe I let that post get past me.
I'm not real sure but I think it's an ATI board. It is a very nice feature to have tho. If I find out it's something other than ATI, I'll let you know
blink5times

Postby blink5times » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:29 am

Somno- I found the info. It's a Matrox Parahelia APVe board with all the accessory dongles and stuff. The video feeds in through the BMC connector.
blink5times

Postby somnonaut » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:37 pm

So,
Once again, you can REVIEW the video in the LOOKBACK window DURING acquisition?
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:47 pm

That is the video display card, not the video acquistion card, usually these are two seperate cards. I see no BNC connector on the back of this
This review alludes to external video input sourcing.
http://www.internetvideomag.com/Article ... rhelia.htm

but here is User manual and the only external ports I see are S video and an RCA plug.
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/media/pd ... ide_en.pdf

Would love to hear how you run the video during acquisition and lookback. I have always felt that it was one of the weakest points of all the manufacturers of sleep systems to not allow review of the video in lookback during acquisition.
somnonaut

Postby blink5times » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:53 am

Hey you're right! The Matrox card does run the display. I was remembering the integrated chipset video that ran the display on our old NK systems.
Okay, since it's worth more than my job to open up one of our acquisition computers, I went digging for manuals, etc. I found an Osprey driver CD, their website is http://www.viewcast.com. The Osprey cards specialize in streaming audio/video. I remember the Stellate product rep boasting MPEG4 compression.
The Harmonie software has a live window and a lookback window for signals because you can't scroll back the live signal window like with Sandman. I can pull up a a video window for the live signal, and a lookback video window that is synched to the lookback screen complete with playback controls. This is very useful at times. We had an earthquake a few months ago, which is rare for central Illinois. Oddly enough the 3 female patients woke up and the 3 male patients slept through it. While the test was still running I was able to pull up the lookback video and listen to how much rattling and shaking was going on in each room.
This is the best feature Stellate offers and goes a long way in making up for some of it's shortcomings. If Stellate was a larger player in the NPSG market I'm sure everyone would have lookback video also.
The next best trick is being able to monitor any room from any workstation. This makes it easy when patients don't show and someone has to go home. I think Xltek can do this also though.
blink5times

Postby blink5times » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:00 am

Oh, and you asked how we can run both live and lookback video during testing. On the viewcast webiste, the Osprey 230 page says
Purchase the Osprey-230 with Simulstream® and you can feed audio and video to multiple encoders at the same time.

So if the Harmonie software had a live and a lookback encoder, the Osprey card could stream to them both which would give us this capability right? This goes a bit beyond my current computer knowledge but I'm guessing that's how it is done.
blink5times

Postby blink5times » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Our Osprey card is the 210 model. Also, the lookback video has the slight limitation that you can only see lookback video that is over 2 minutes old.
blink5times

Postby somnonaut » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Nice explanation.
I think your last post says it all. More than likely the video is being SAVED every 2 minutes, and that is the reason for the limitation in the lokback video. It is actually reading the video file. THe streaming would not help as the lookback window need to read historical video not live streaming video. The only place that needs live streaming is the file creator.
A test of this theory of operation is to crash an acquisition compter mid acqusition. If the video file is trashed (As REmbrandt's is) then the video file was never closd "elegantly" If the video is readable, but only missing the last 2 minutes (which is my hypothesis) then that is the operating process. A good test for this is to do certain behaviors in the final 2 minutes prior to pulling the plug on the computer. T-120s sec, play TV, T-90 sec put on different lights, T-60 have someone stand in room, T-30, have person le on bed, T-15, turn off TV with person on bed, etc.

But who the heck has time for this folly to only find out how the video works. Can we just ask the vendor?
somnonaut

Postby blink5times » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:22 am

What you are saying is true. Whenever the computer crashes and we reboot to append the file we no longer have video for the rest of the study. I would rather start a new study and have day shift super glue the 2 files together but I guess that's a real pain in the neck. But 95% of the time the computer doesn't crash and the lookback video is a wonderful thing to have.
blink5times

Return to Stellate